Apply now »



Newport News, Virginia, United States

Date:  Mar 15, 2023

Job Description

This position will serve as a Test Technician for the CVN Deck Machinery Group within the Test Department.  The primary function of this job is to verify that the final assembled systems meet operational requirements by writing and performing government-approved Test Procedures. A significant portion of the job involves coordinating and executing shipboard testing as well as troubleshooting of mechanical and electrical components. This is a hands-on position that requires the ability to work with a diverse group of engineers, technicians, and production tradespeople. About 40% of the job is performed in a heavy industrial, shipboard environment; the other 60% is spent in an office environment writing and evaluating technical documentation.

Basic Qualifications

Associate's Degree and 3 years of experience. 2 years of related experience can be substituted for Associate's degree. 4 years of non-related experience can be substituted for Associate's degree. An Apprentice Certificate or graduation from Navy Nuclear Power School can be substituted for Associate's degree.

Preferred Qualifications

Seeking a candidate with electrical expertise.  The preferred candidate should be familiar with Nimitz and/or Ford Class Aircraft Carrier operations and testing. The ideal candidate would have experience aboard a Nimitz and/or Ford Class Aircraft Carrier obtained as a Newport News Test Trade foreman or hourly worker with sufficient time working for test trades (at least 6 years).  The most sought after candidate would have experience as a test electrician working with Auxiliary equipment – such as Steering Gear, Anchor Windlass, Underway Replenishment Systems, O2N2, HP Air, LP Air and/or Damage Control systems – such as AFFF, Halon/HFP, Magazine/Miscellaneous Sprinkling.  This experience could also be achieved as active duty military.

  • Req ID: 30763 
  • Department: E25 TEST ENGINEERING 
  • Entity: NN SHIPBUILDING (0265) 
  • Travel Required: Yes, up to 10% of the time 
  • Shift: 1st 
  • Relocation: No relocation assistance available 
  • Education: Associates Degree 
  • Virtual/Telework Opportunity: No - Not eligible for telework 
  • US Citizenship Required for this Position: Yes 
  • Clearance Type: No - Clearance Not Required to Start  

Who We Are - About HII 


Working at HII is more than a job - it’s an opportunity to build a future. We offer comprehensive benefits including: medical, prescription drug, dental and vision plan choices, on-site health centers, tele-medicine, wellness resources, employee assistance programs, savings plan options (401K), financial education and planning tools, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, employee discounts, early childhood and post-secondary education scholarships, and more. Some benefits may vary depending on your specific division or work location.


HII is an Equal Opportunity/Vets and Disabled Employer. U.S. Citizenship may be required for certain positions.

Apply now »